I feel like I can go off on various topics right now!
The biggest being work. I have never worked at such a dysfunctional place. I'm not even sure where to start or how to describe it. People that are suppose to be there to help and support you are so rude. My team has even commented how whenever I ask a completely normal question I get a rude response that usually doesn't even address the question.
They say that we are doing what is in the best interest of the student, but I don't see it. Starting mid march we are changing schedules, cutting specials time to 30 minutes, sending kids to different teachers, and teaching reading for 3 hours and math for 3 hours. What in the world?! Teaching something longer is not going to make them "get it". If anything they are going to get glazed eyes and bored which equals behavior problems. If we taught more science and social studies they'd have more benefit working through the complex topics, but we are cutting it out. Well, according to "them" we will "fit it in". Hmmm.... Do you think they are even going to tell parents that their students are going to have a different teacher all day? I made the mistake of asking about that little detail.
We are also teaching guided reading and guided math everyday. That isnt appropriate for 4th grade. They need to work a little more independently. My students are at the point where they need me to hold their hand to accomplish the simplest task. How is this helping them learn? It also makes it hard to work with a small group when half the class wants to ask me a question because they are too scared to try by themselves. In general teaching in Georgia has been like stepping back in time! I miss my other 2 school so bad. It is hard to teach when you don't agree with what you are being asked to do.
Ok, writing about it has not made me feel better so I wont even go into the other topics.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I always think writing about it is going to make me feel better and it never really does either. However, it does help me separate the rational feelings from the irrational. From what you said though, you're not the one being irrational. Don't keep quiet about it. The children need someone like you to stand up for them. That new plan sounds horrible.
ReplyDelete